HANNIBAL. – On Thursday, United Way of the Mark Twain Area distributed 8,600 pounds of pork to 20 area food pantries and senior centers as one of the projects the organization has tackled in their response to COVID-19.
The pork, which would have collectively cost over $20,000, was donated to the community during a time when it was very needed. Food pantries are being relied upon now more than ever before. Hogs to provide the pork were raised on local farms by farmers who contract with JBS Pork.
Processing for these hogs was completed at Central Missouri Meats & Sausage in Fulton, Mo and paid for by Continental Cement and Green America Recycling.
Transportation to get the pork back to Hannibal from Bowen, IL.
Organizations receiving pork included:
Bethel Food Pantry
Douglass Community Services
Faith Walk Ministries Food Pantry
Fifth Street Baptist Church Food Pantry
First Baptist Church Food Pantry in Paris
First UMC Food Pantry
Hannibal Free Clinic
Heartland Resources was provided by Brain Gaines Trucking
Lewis County Food Pantry
Monroe City Food Pantry
Monroe City Senior Nutrition Center Palmyra Area Food Pantry
Paris Senior Center
Ralls County Food Pantry
Salvation Army Food Pantry Shelbina UMC Food Pantry
Shelby County Food Pantry
Shelby County Senior Citizens Shiloh Christian Children’s Ranch
Thousands of individuals in need in the community will benefit from this meat. Senior Centers will utilize the meat in the meals they prepare. Local food pantries will give meat out to families.
Additionally, through United Way’s COVID-19 response fund, the following mini-grants were awarded to local non-profit organizations.
– Tri-County Alliance – $10,000.00 – To assist individuals who are unable to pay bills due to unemployment because of COVID-19
– Hannibal Nutrition Center – $2,000.00 – Assist with senior feeding program
– Learning Opportunities/Quality Works – $1,000.00 – Assist organization with technology needed for employees to work from home
– Monroe City Food Pantry – $2,000.00 – Assist purchasing needed food to
distribute through food pantry
– Turning Point Recovery Center – $1,000.00 – Assist with technology needs for organization to run groups and provide services
– Hannibal Alliance for Youth Success – $2,000.00 – Buddy Pack support
– Salvation Army – $2,000.00 – Funding to help purchase food for food pantry and
pay hotel stays for homeless individuals who can’t stay at homeless shelter
– FACT – $1,120.00 – Pay hourly wage for employees to assemble Buddy Packs
(normally done via volunteers, but due to social distancing restrictions volunteers
are not allowed)
– The Child Center – $1,500.00 – Assist organization with overhead due to lost
The following organizations received additional financial support on top of support that had already been received through the COVID-19 Response Fund.
– Monroe City Senior Nutrition Center – $500.00 – Assist with senior food program
– Paris Senior Center – $500.00 – Assist with senior food program
– Douglass Community Services – $1,000.00 – Purchase food for Emergency Food Pantry
These mini-grants were made possible due to funding received from the community as well as a $50,000 investment from the Missouri Foundation for Health in the United Way’s COVID-19 Response Fund.
Individuals can contribute to United Way’s COVID-19 Response Fund by sending payment to PO Box 81 Hannibal, MO 63401, giving online at unitedwaymta.org/donate, or donating through Facebook.