The Shelby County Health Department is saddened today to report the first death of a Shelby County resident due to COVID-19. This individual has been hospitalized for several weeks and all close contacts have been in quarantine and isolation.
Everyone is urged to take preventive actions to prevent the spread of all respiratory viruses. These actions include:
- Avoid large social gatherings
- PLEASE WEAR A MASK – THIS HELPS SLOW THE SPREAD OF THE VIRUS
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Stay home if you are sick.
Older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions may be at higher risk for more serious complications from COVID-19. If you think, you have been exposed to COVID-19 and develop a fever and symptoms, such as cough or difficulty breathing, call your health care provider for medical advice before showing up.
For more information, visit the DHSS website at www.health.mo.gov/coronavirus or the CDC website at www.cdc.gov/coronavirus. A statewide COVID-19 hotline also operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 877-435-8411.