Space Heater Cause of House Fire
If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
By Marlana Smith
A Shelbina home was destroyed by fire on Tuesday, Feb. 16 at 213 East Mill Street.
Shelbina Protection Fire District arrived on scene around 3:19 p.m. to heavy fire throughout the home.
SPFD Assistant Fire Chief Allan Wilt confirmed the cause of the fire was due to a space heater being used to attempt to unthaw pipes.
Wilt suggested if you have frozen pipes to try and use a hair dryer or call a plumber.
There were no injuries. The house and contents were a total loss.
The home was being rented by Lucille Warren and she did not have renter’s insurance.
Wilt said firefighters left scene at 5:03 p.m.
The SFPD was assisted by Shelby Community Fire Department, Shelbina Police Department, Shelby County Sheriff’s Office, Salt River Ambulance District, City of Shelbina and Shelby County 911.
An account has been set up at Community State Bank in Shelbina for Warren and there is a go-fund me page for those who want to donate.