Gaines Discusses Teacher Salary Legislation
If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
The North Shelby School Board met in regular and executive sessions on Wednesday, May 18, 2022, in the high school library, with six board members present.
The consent agenda, consisting of the previous month’s minutes and bills to be paid, was approved 6-0.
High School Principal Report
Kerri Greenwell provided the following information the board:
Four of the FFA members were invited to participate in the new State FFA Swine Facility Management Contest. Members were Landon Bender, Dylan McEwen, Jade Daniel and Brayton Cook. Dylan was second high individual and the team placed second overall.
We celebrated Teacher/Staff appreciation week from May 2-6.
Seniors and their sponsors, Jennifer Chandler and Landon Daniel, along with senior parents Amanda Barrick and Scott Lunsford, had a great trip to Branson for Senior Trip.
The greenhouse class held its annual plant sale last week. All unsold plants were donated and/or planted by the students under the awning in Shelbyville, at Salt Care River Community, the Shelbina Villa and the Clarence Care Center.
FFA Trash Pick Up was May 12.
Grade Level and EOC tests were finished. We celebrated the end of state testing and the last week of school with ice cream.
The Raider Band is hosting a rummage sale in the south parking lot on June 4, July 9 and August 13 as a fundraiser for the Liberty Bowl. People may rent a space and sell their items. Anyone interested in participating should contact Michelle Ratley at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a spot.
Elementary Principal Report
Jennifer Rich provided the following information to the board:
April 19, we held an Online Safety program for parents and community members. We had approximately 17 people attend. The following day, Kindergarten-12th grades had presentations on Online Safety.
PAT had a Parent Café on April 29 and held Picnic at the Park on May 10 at Shelbina Lake in conjunction with South Shelby’s PAT. They will also be having a Parent Cafe on Wednesday to attend Ag Day sponsored by FFA.
The Elementary Spring Concert was held on May 4. Congratulations to Mrs. Linberger for all her hard work with our students.
PreK and Kindergarten held a switch day from 9-12 on May 5 where the PreK students got a glance into what Kindergarten will be like next year.
The following field trips were held during the first two weeks of May:
– PreK went to the post office in Shelbyville and the park.
– Kindergarten went to Shelbyville Fire Department, The Flower Shed and Shelbina Library.
– First Grade went to the Conservation center in Kirksville.
– Second Grade students visited the fire station in Hannibal and Sodalis Nature Preserve.
– Third and Fourth Grade went to Jefferson City in April.
– Fifth Grade toured Mark Twain’s Boyhood Home and Sodalis Nature Preserve.
– Sixth Grade went to Mark Twain Cave, the Lighthouse and a walking tour of downtown Hannibal.
The fourth and fifth graders were presented a program on Electricity by Macon Electric Cooperative.
Fifth grade had DARE graduation on May 12. The DARE Program was presented by Officer Matt Mefford weekly this semester. Kids were awarded a t-shirt and certificate for completing the program. They also participated in an essay contest. Taylin Prange received first and Scarlett Yoder received second place. Each student had two very nice prizes.
Superintendent Kim Gaines explained the $38,000 minimum teacher salary grant passed by the legislature. This grant, which is not mandatory for school districts, is to be used to get starting teacher pay to a minimum of $38,000.
The state will pay 70 percent of the difference between a teacher’s salary and $38,000. The district will pay the remaining 30 percent. The board voted to apply for this grant when it becomes available. This will affect five teachers who are currently under the $38,000 threshold. Superintendent Gaines will be presenting a new salary schedule to the board in June.
The board approved (6-0) Gerding, Korte, and Chitwood as the audit firm for the 2021-2022 fiscal year.
The June board meeting was moved to June 29, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
The board accepted the resignation of Lauren Gander as the district nurse. The board approved the hiring of Ray Bacon as high school business and Rosie DiLallo as junior high football cheer coach.