If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
Please enter your email and we will send your username and password to you.
The following minutes have not approved.
Jail Committee met on Tuesday, May 24, 2022, at 6 p.m. at the Shelby County Courthouse. Those present were: Sheriff Arron Fredrickson, Shelbina Police Chief Jeff Brown, Clarence Police Office Raymond Barton, Stephanie Bender, Dara Dee Douglas, Patrick Parker, Carl Bastian, Tom Shively and Terry Mefford.
Arron started the meeting with introductions of everyone. He then explained why he is starting this project and talked about the problems with the current jail and possibilities with a new jail and the possible location.
The statues were explained and what they could be used for. Arron stated that Statute number 67.582 is a Law Enforcement Official statue. This one would be what we need to use as the money would be used specifically for Law Enforcement items. It would build the jail, help with staffing, and also allow us to share a portion of the tax with the Clarence and Shelbina Law Enforcement Departments.
The question has already been done and passed in some other counties, so we can use their examples and not reinvent the wheel. We will use their ballot language as an example.
The jail size is hoped to be a 30 bed total:
– 2 pods of 4 or 5 beds each for women
– 2 pods for 9 each for men
– Rest will be rubber rooms and suicide watch rooms
– Contact the architects to get plans and estimated cost
– Thoughts were given to possible close in a walkway between the jail and courthouse, so the inmates were not walking in the open for safety
– Get the information about the tax from the Department of Revenue
– Get ballot language and the commission to approve for it to be on ballot in April of 2023
Officers were elected. Chairman is Andrew Coon and Secretary is Stephanie Bender.
The next meeting is at the Shelby County Courthouse on Tuesday, June 21, 220 at 6:00 p.m.